Gong Yoo (공유)

.
My Personal take on this guy.  =)
I forgot where I got this image from. Pls leave a comment
if you are the owner
The first time I saw this guy was a few years back, I think sometime in 2007 from his Korean Drama - "The First Shop of Coffee Prince" and the only reason why I watched it was because of his partner Yoon Eun-hye. Which I find the girl rather pretty, when I first saw him in that show I was a bit disappointed as he was not that handsome for me. But as the story progress, I realize he really portrayed his role well and is really a good actor, showing emotions like it was real. By the middle of the show, I admired the guy, then when the drama ended I found out he was already entering the mandatory military service required for all men in Korea. So I forgot about him as it would take them 2 years to finish this task.


Fast forward today, I was watching some Korean Drama's again and while I was researching the net, his latest film showed up in my search which  is - "Dogani" or "The Crucible" and was released in the international market with the title changed to "Silenced". It was quite a heart wrenching to see even with just the Trailer.

taken from tumbler site


Due to the Korean response to this film, it made me research more on the subject. And after what I read and saw, it made me admire the guy more, was he not only has very good acting skills but his principles is also commendable, as I watch a lot of his interviews and read a dozen articles, though this is only a minimal glimpse of  his inner self, at least it was good to know he has a good personality and so far is behaving well as an actor.

What really draw me in was how well he can carry his role, though he does not have that overall handsome face, but because of his acting it will really win you over.  So this got me started watching some of his older movies and drama's. And surprised! Surprised! It seems even the first time he debuted in front of the camera his acting skills was already good.

I've been watching his movies a lot lately, any of his drama that I could find online, just to see this guy act. And it made me realize the older he gets the more handsome he looks.

He is also known to always have good chemistry with his leading ladies, in one of the interviews I saw, he said he tries to make his co-star as comfortable with him as possible. Maybe that explain why he has good chemistry with them on screen?

It's good to know he has already an International base fan. So I guess we will be seeing him more or I'll be seeing him more online. Hoping to see his upcoming film, his very first action film - "The Suspect" .

So here's a few link if you guys can't get enough of him also.

Facebook - Gong Yoo Fan page Global

He isn't on any social media sites, as there is a lot of impostors out there, so you can't email him or give him messages on tweeter.

For a full listing of his appearance in TV, Drama and movies, click here -> Soompi forum

There is also an address where you can send your message to him. So good luck!

By the way if you are interested in reading the news on the Dogani movie you can view it here -> Soompi.


So far the following are the ones I have seen:

1.  Love Manipulation: Cyrano (2013) - cameo appearance episode 9
from beatusCorner

This is only a cameo appearance, and it is quite short. Don't expect to see him all the time in this series.

2. Big (2012) - He played the lead role, the story is quite amusing, and the plot is kinda nice but the they did a bad wrap up for this K Drama unfortunately. You might not be satisfied with the ending.


Total of 16 Episodes. This is also the first Drama role he played after his mandatory service in the Army. He was speaking a few English line in this Drama.

3. Finding Mr. Destiny (2010) - Played a major role in this Movie though the focus of the story is more on the girl. But the plot of this story is quite good. I'd recommend that you watch it.



4. The First Shop of Coffe Prince(2007) - Leading Man, this is the Drama that took off his career and solidify his image as a Leading Man.

from LittleMisshoo
17 Episodes, very good plot on the story and ending is quite cute.

5. Ryu Ga Gotoku - A film adaptation of a Video Game, this is a Japanese film by the way, His role here was a South Korean Hit Man, and he appeared I think near the end of the film. First time I saw him sport a gun.


He was not speaking in Japanese when he was saying his lines. He was speaking in Korean language.

6. One Fine Day (2006) - Played the Leading Man, the plot is nice - he became siblings with the girl due to their parents getting married, but due to a accident they both became orphans and was placed in the same orphanage but was adopted by 2 different families so got separated. Though they did find each other eventually after 15 years, it was still not easy to be together. Ending is good with this story. He had some very long line speaking in English in this Drama. Total of 16 Episodes.

from Hancinema

7. She's on Duty(2005) - He played a mysterious guy in this Movie, the story is good but it didn't explain who he was working for, very funny and has a good ending. The story does not focus on him but more on the leading lady. But the best part is he did a lot of action moves here. And said a line in Japanese.

from Asian Drama Aficianado

8. Hello Teacher (2005) - Also known as Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy. Finally given a lead role (his first after always appearing as supporting cast), he was the problem child - story focuses on him and the Teacher. Plot of the story is very nice, love the ending of this Drama. I don't find the leading lady pretty here. Total of 16 Episodes.



9. S Diary (2004) - In this movie there are 3 leading man, in the sequence of the story, he is the 3rd love of the girl, the movie is about the girl's journey on love and finding her self.

From scratch-strain


10. Spy Girl (2004) - Played the leading man. A very funny movie about a spy who was looking for an agent that embezzled the government money, and while in undercover duty met a college young man who had a huge crush on her. Very nice story and nice ending. But the story focuses on the girl.

from Hancinema
It was good to see that he had a pretty leading lady here.

11. My Tutor Friend (2003) - He played a supporting role here, the main leading man here is Kwon Sang Woo and the reason why I watched the movie, I was quite surprise to find Gong Yoo here. But the story plot is funny and ending is funny.



He has a few more earlier drama's, but mostly it's supporting role. I haven't gotten around to watching his more early exposure to the Entertainment world. Having a hard time finding English Subs. =)

2 comments:

  1. You may want to check out this blogger I follow for more GY goodness.
    http://thefangirlverdict.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/loving-gong-yoo/
    http://thefangirlverdict.wordpress.com/2013/10/26/i-was-there-gong-yoo-premium-night-2013/

    ReplyDelete