All About Coffee Shops

.
I love coffee, but not the brewed type. I know from my previous stay in Manila, that the people there are really into coffee, but lately Davao people is into this fad. And is sprouting coffee shops all over the place.So here are a few places I visited.


Blugre, as far as I know this is the first coffee shop in Davao. They are the first one's that educated Davao residence to the "Coffee culture". But this store's main product used to be T-shirts and pants, unfortunately their coffee sold more than the clothing line, so the clothing business was changed to a souvenir items instead, and Mugs was added in the novelty as well.

Which I think was a very good move on their part.

This company was established on June, 1998 by Gatchi and Larcy Gatchalian. The couple are Manilenos.  But transferred in Davao sometime ago in the mid 1990's. The couple was looking for a business to open, and came up with a clothing line with a coffee shop as an extra service to the customer. And the rest you know.


The food and drink are recipes of the wife. And the husband was the one who came up with durian flavored coffee, thus it was named gatchpuccino.

The company has garnered a few awards: National Shopper's Choice as "Best Coffee Shop in Davao" and Philippine Marketing Excellence Award as the "Most Outstanding Coffee Shop in Davao City for 2004".

Due to the success of Blugre, they now have a sister company - Kape't Pandesal in SM City Davao.

The three stores are located in Landco bldg., at the Pryce business park, Bajada. G-mall and the next one is in Matina Town Square.

They also offer wifi connection, if that is a must to you. To me, not really. I prefer to sip my drink and have small talks with friends.

Blugre, is one of my favorite places to hang out. If ever I am in a bad mood due to my boss at work or really depressed, I should have a glass of any kind of product from this coffee shop and a cake. And that really bounce me back to my happy self again.

And here's a very nice news! They are open for franchise outside of Davao. So those who are interested! Click here!

Update 2012: Blugre has already expanded and is available in almost all Malls in Davao.



Figaro, have been around in Davao for I think about 2 or 3 years now.... not sure.

However this is not Davao's homegrown, Figaro is a franchise from Manila. Their main product line is organic coffee, this is a 100% Filipino owned company. I hear they are planning to open more stores abroad.  This company started sometime in 1993 and has a sister company - Boyd’s Coffee Co.

I've gone only once in this store, since it's not 100% Davao homegrown, hehehe!!

First location is in Sales St. near Chimes, now they can be found in the Malls.


 Coffee @ Yellow Hauz, this just opened sometime in 2006, the nice thing about this place is that, it looks exactly like a house, a yellow house that is.

Prices of their food and beverages are not so expensive, so it's a good place to go and enjoy your money's worth.

As for their sitting, there is a lot to choose from, you can sit in couches, just like in a living room and they have a few around, or if you prefer secluded nooks, they have that too. Or! There is the great outdoors, sitting under a canopy, just beside the house. It's a really cozy place.

And they are wifi ready.

This is owned by the two siblings - April Denise San Pedro and Alessandra San Pedro. You want to see more pictures? Click on this link .

This is located in V. Mapa St. near Mabini Street, it's very hard to miss, look for the house painted in yellow infront of.........I forgot the name of the church.

And this is Davao City's homegrown, so definitely, I'll be back.

Updates 2012: This is one of my favorite places to go, as the price is affordable and not too crowded.




Kasagingan, this coffee place is a treat. I totally love their outdoor sitting area, enclosed and surrounded with flowers, shrubs and what else? But a Saging tree! Great concept.

Just sitting under the canopy is such fun already. The place for me is really charming. And true to it's name, a lot of their dishes and drinks are banana inspired.

This is located along F. Torres St., fronting Davao Convention.  There's a big sign outside so you can't miss it.



And as for parking space, it's inside the entrance gate, you might miss this, since the gate is kinda small, but don't be deceive, there's a lot of space inside, or just go through the exit, there are still more parking space there.

By the way this is also Davao's homegrown. So you betcha I'll be back to this place and hang out from time to time.

And I urge you to read their posters, it will definitely give a smile on your face. They are also wifi ready.

As far as I know the owner is Mr. Lyndon Ong.



Previously posted in Multiply on July 4, 2007








0 comments:

Post a Comment