Baha sa Davao

.



Baha..... that word only strays frequently in Manila but never Davao. Unfortunately, that word finally landed in our doorstep. I can't remember when Davao started getting "baha", this year? Last year? .....

What I do remember was, driving along bankeron bridge(before it was under renovation) when rain hit and was quite surprise to see water flooding the streets.  And thinking to myself...

    "huh?? Na-a baha dire?"

I've been back in Davao for 11 years now,  and never had to worry about driving home when it rains. But nowadays, it's a different story. I have to make a mental note which streets to avoid and which street should I take in order to reach home without getting my car to swim. Makes you remember your younger days where you have a piece of paper with cartoon drawings and an instruction that say "Help {whoever the character is} reach point B from point A without getting caught. Like those table mats you get in restaurants to help you pass the time or to occupy the kids.

Wonder how did Davao ended up like this? Trees being cut down? Haven't anyone noticed that the Shrine hills is slowly showing less trees? Subdivisions appearing everywhere? Or we blame this to illegal logging? Is our drainage getting clogged? ...I can only speculate.

I do hope that Davao's future isn't that like of Manila, where you have to thread water along with the trash.

Additional sites to go about this topic:

*SuddenSerenity





Originally posted in Multiply on Aug 2, 2007

0 comments:

Post a Comment