My Sweet Memory of Kalachuchi

.



I remember picking this flowers along the road, while walking along Ponciano Street going to Bonifacio with my shobe. I was 8 years old, I think, when I would walk together with my siblings to our store early mornings, or late afternoons. When we reach the store, shobe and I would give this to our mother. So she'd placed it on her head, in the middle of the bun she created with her hair. I like the sweet smell of this flower.

I would always give her this flower everytime I walk that road. I remember this would bring a smile on her face.

But when I reached Grade 6, one of the tindera at our store, laughed at me and told me that the flower I was giving to my mom, is for dead people, that shocked me. After that, I didn't picked another Kalachuchi again. However, after a few months my mama asked me why I wasn't bringing her that sweet smelling flower, I told her someone said it was meant for dead people, and she laugh at that. And told me to just bring her the flowers still. So I did, but this time she would place it on the altar.

But sometime in the late 1990's that house who had that Kalachuchi tree sold the place to some businessmen and the tree was cut down. After that each time I pass in that place, I'd always looked at where the tree use to stand.

- posted on January 23, 2007 in multiply

0 comments:

Post a Comment